Friday, September 30, 2016

[Los Altos, CA] Rancho San Antonio Open Space Preserve

I love this hiking preserve so much! 
I have hiked here 5 times already, and will definitely be coming back over and over again!
Rancho San Antonio Open Space Preserve has everything a simple hiker, like myself, would want.

WildCat Loop Trail
It has plenty of shade for the hot summer days. It have a great vista point that looks over Silicon Valley. It has a diverse amount of trails that range from easy to strenuous. It also has a sweet little farm about a mile or so into the hike, called the Deer Hollow Farm.

The Open Space Preserve is consisted of 3,988 acres with 24 miles of hiking trails. Of these trails, my favorite is the 3.0 mile round trip, WildCat Loop Trial. Not only does it allow you to come across the farm and ends at the beautiful Vista Point, but it also takes you through a beautiful Canyon covered in trees and other wonderful greenery. It is easily the coolest spot in the park. 


There is also an abundance of wildlife. The last time I was here I ran into a rattlesnake, a pair of cute quails, and some deer! Unfortunately I did not get pictures of the deers because I was too busy capturing this rare accordance on video. If you would like to see what I managed to capture, here is the link to my video! Another time I hiked here, a flock of turkeys ran across my path and into the open field at near the entrance of the park. What a sight!

If you are looking for a more challenging trail to get a good sore-muscle workout, PG&E Trail is your best bet. It is a 3.7 mile climb to an elevation of 1600 ft. I did this trail before and needless to say, it really kicked my butt. However, the views you get are quite spectacular mixed with telephone towers.

View of the Look Out Point
Other trials that you will stumble into while hiking the two trials I mentioned above are the Black Mountain Trail (4.0 Miles), WildCat Canyon, Upper High Meadow Trail, as well as, Lower High Meadow Trail, and you cannot forget the short and sweet Chamise Trail (2.0 Miles). So there are a lot of different trails to choose from. Most of the trails lead up to the beautiful look out point.

The park is open daily with free entry. There is also an abundance of parking spaces, but spots still fill up quickly on the weekends since it is very popular with the locals. 

Have a great hiking trip!
Happy Wandering! Alice

No comments:

Post a Comment