Thursday, December 15, 2016

[San Gregorio, CA] San Gregorio State Beach



The beautiful beach of San Gregorio is located just 10.5 miles south of Half Moon Bay on Highway 1. There is a little parking carve where you can pull right up and park your vehicle. That is exactly what I did to get these amazing shots of the beach.

My visit was brief because I had my heart set on spending my day at Pescadero State Beach, a few miles further south, however the moments I spent here was enjoyable nevertheless. You cannot beat the views of this beautiful estuary!


Near the bridge you will find the end of San Gregorio Creek and the forming of a freshwater lagoon, and across the sand banks you have the San Gregorio Beach. At times, the lagoon will fill up most of the cove, but I got lucky that day and was able to see the beach clearly with its numerous pools. At low tide, the narrow beach along the cliffs at the south end opens up and you can stroll straight to Pomponio State Beach, and further down is Pescadero State Beach.


This beach is also a registered California Historical Landmark. In the history books, it is believed that Gasper de Portola and his expedition crew camped here to rest and treat their sick in 1769. Their mission was to reach Monterey Bay, in which they failed, but instead discovered San Francisco Bay. 


There is more to see and explore than what I did that day. I read there is a large picnic area on the bluff overlooking the ocean. That would make a nice rest stop on a hiking trip, grab a bite and enjoy the ocean view. Sounds like an ideal day.

Happy Wandering, Alice

Click, to learn more about California Beaches!

No comments:

Post a Comment