Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Dear Travel Diary #4 (Part1): Great Heights of SF

Dear Travel Diary,

San Francisco is a city built on top of hills. A lot of hills! Today I was able to experience the extent of these hills from 3 famous San Francisco hill locations: Twin Peaks, Turtle Hill, and Golden Gate Park.

My cousin, Jane, who is a local, was wonderful enough to be my chauffeur, as well as, my tour guide today.



We started the day with a visit to the Twin Peaks. I have driven through there before, and I even checked out the view at night, but I had never been there during the daytime. Nighttime is great with all the lights, but it was nice for a change to be able to see the buildings individually than just an abundance of fluorescent lights. The view is incredible up here and even more incredible on top of one of the peaks (where you are allowed to climb up).

My favorite part of the day was the climb to Turtle Hill. It is an experience that I think everyone must take. You start your journey at the foot of the Hidden Garden Steps. These steps consist of hundreds of ceramic tiles that come together to create a picture in each section. This flight contains 11 sections, so you get 11 beautiful garden themed pieces, each with a story that you can read about on their website.



The next stairway you need to take is even more incredible than the Hidden Garden Steps. This stairway have two different names. It's nicknamed by the locals as "The Moraga Steps", but its real name is the 16th Avenue Tiles Steps. I personally like the nickname better. This stairway is a beautiful, mirrored ceramic mosaic masterpiece. It is magnificent during the day, but come when the moon is full, and the mirrored pieces just glistens wonderfully in the moonlight.

The last stairway to the top is less glamorous but it takes you to a view of the City worth seeing. The view at Turtle Hill is one of the best in San Francisco (in my opinion). Also, Turtle Hill is a nickname given to it by the locals because at a distance the hill looks like a giant turtle, but it is formally know as "The Grandview Park". I think Turtle Hill suits it better, don't you?



Finally, the last great view I was able to see today is in the wonderful Golden Gate Park, particular a great up close view of The Academy of Sciences, in Hamon Observatory Tower located in de Young Museum. This viewing platform is free to enter for all visitors, and it gives you a wonderful 360 degree view of its surroundings.

Another great spot within the park that also offers the visitor a wonderful view is on top of Strawberry Hill. I did visit part of Strawberry Hill that day, but unfortunately did not climb to the top. I will definitely do so for the next visit!


Happy Wandering, Alice.

To watch my day, here is a link to: "Travel Vlog: (Part 1) Great Heights of San Francisco.

No comments:

Post a Comment