Saturday, November 5, 2016

[San Jose, CA] The Tech Museum of Innovation

Let's take a look at one of San Jose's most famous attractions, The Tech Museum of Innovation, aka "The Tech". Sounds like something out of a movie doesn't it, "The Tech"? It is located in Downtown San Jose. You can not miss it. It's the only solid blue and orange building with a dome roof in the city.


The Museum's vision is to inspire the innovator in everyone, especially in the younger generation. The idea to build a Tech and Science museum started in 1978 by the Junior League of Palo Alto. Today, the museum is not just any museum but a valued community resource for education. They carry on annual events and programs to challenge young thinkers, such as, the annual Tech Challenge. The Tech Challenge invites students in grades 4-12 to participate in designing and engineering a solution to solve real-world problems. 

I had recently visited the Tech Museum with every anticipation of having an amazing, eye opening time. The last time I was here was when I was in 7th grade, and I remember having a blast. 
There are three levels, two (downstairs & upstairs) contains the interactive exhibits. The ground level, where you entered, is where you will find the gift shop, ticket booth, and IMAX theater (where you can pay to watch an educational film). I was there to view the galleries, so I just paid the $24.00 ticket versus the $29.00 ticket that includes access to the galleries and the IMAX educational movie. 

They don't tell you straight off the gate (or they just didn't inform me), but do not throw away you ticket stubs. You will need the barcode to activate multiple exhibits. In all honesty, I wish they gave us bracelets with the barcode, because the tickets are easily misplaced, especially if you have young kids with you, you are bound to lose a ticket or two. A cool feature about the barcode is that it helps you check off where you have been. There are booths where you can view a map of the whole museum, and you can pinpoint where you have been and where you still need to visit, which is nice.

There are 8 different galleries to walk through, and over a hundred different interactive exhibits to play with. I am not going to go through most of them with you, frankly I just do not remember a lot of them, but I will let you know that I had a lot more fun downstairs than upstairs. Oh, and be aware, you will get a bit frustrated with a few of the exhibits because they are activated through motion or heat sensors...and they do not work half the time.


The reason why I enjoyed downstairs more is because the Exploration Gallery is downstairs. I was bored with the rest of the exhibits to be honest. They seem more for children than adults. Even the 15 year old that I was with seemed bored for the most part...and the 5 year old I was with seemed confused most of the time. Me being the young-hearted 28 year old that I am, I thoroughly enjoyed the Exploration Gallery. 

The Exploration Gallery is focused on Outer Space and the Earth's Electric and Magnetic Fields. There is a platform that gave my heart a jump called Shake Platform. There are metals bars for you to hold onto because this platform will give you the experience of a serious earthquake. My body was jolted and shook around that at times it was quite painful because I had to glue myself to the metal bar, but the experience was exhilarating, and let me wide away and breathless. This recreation of an earthquake blows the one in San Francisco's Academy of Sciences out of the waters. Just saying.

Another part of the gallery I enjoyed was the room featuring everything we know about outer space and future plans for outer space. I mean look at that space salad bar! This is the future we are heading towards! I can not wait until we are Star Trek advance! I would most likely be dead but I still can't wait!


There are also old, real satellites hanging from the ceiling. There is a small circular room where you can view rocks from the moon and mars. I just find outer space to be fascinating. There are just endless possibilities out there, and yes, I believe in aliens.

There are definitely some cool exhibits in this museum, however, but I only recommend a visit for families with kids. You will definitely have a better experience. 

Read more about my personal experience by reading my Travel Diary: (TBA)
"Dear Travel Diary #1: Eating Greek Food and Getting Techy"

Happy Wandering, Alice.

No comments:

Post a Comment